There are many benefits to using natural gas as your home energy source:
- Natural gas is more economical than propane or electricity. The average cost of fuel for natural gas is significantly less expensive than either of these energy sources. Over the course of a year, the less expensive cost of fuel can make a big difference in what you pay to heat your home.
- Natural gas is not subject to seasonal price fluctuations like propane. Since propane prices are not regulated, they can rise quickly when supplies get tight in winter.
- Heating with propane also requires you to have a storage tank on your property, and you have to pay your supplier every time it’s filled. With natural gas, you don’t need a storage tank; we send it to your home through underground pipes, as you need it. And you pay for natural gas only after you use it.
- No matter the season or weather, natural gas is one of the safest and most reliable sources of heating.
- Natural gas is the cleanest and most environmentally responsible fossil fuel. Natural gas is highly efficient and can significantly reduce your carbon footprint.
- Natural gas is a domestic product; 98% of the natural gas used in the U.S. comes from the U.S. and Canada.
- Choosing natural gas promotes energy independence; we have an abundant domestic supply.
- Natural gas has an immediate positive environmental impact. Alternative and renewable sources currently meet only six percent of our nation’s energy needs.
Compare the cost of natural gas vs. electric or propane.
Learn more about converting your home heating sources to natural gas.